DescriptionYou play the role of Torque, a death row inmate with an ambiguous past who has been imprisoned for slaying his ex-wife and children. Shortly after being interred in a new prison on Carnate Island, an earthquake appears to release demonic creatures based on the many modes of execution used in the sordid history of the island. These creatures proceed to eliminate much of the prison population, leaving only you and a scant few other inmates and guards to eliminate the horde and find out what has happened.
There are no PlayStation 2 screenshots for this game.
There are 46 other screenshots on file for other versions of this game.
- "劫难" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
Part of the Following Groups
|A really good atmospheric horror game to enjoy.||Reborn_Demon (124)|
The Press Says
|Game Freaks 365||Mar 15, 2004||9.5 out of 10||95|
|Netjak||Jul 08, 2004||8.8 out of 10||88|
|IGN||Mar 05, 2004||8.5 out of 10||85|
|GameZone||Mar 16, 2004||8.5 out of 10||85|
|GameSpot||Mar 09, 2004||7.6 out of 10||76|
|PSX Extreme||Apr 23, 2004||7.6 out of 10||76|
|Jeuxvideo.com||May 17, 2004||14 out of 20||70|
|Factornews||May 24, 2004||7 out of 10||70|
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||Apr 05, 2004||7 out of 10||70|
|GameSpy||Mar 12, 2004||60|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|What's your excuse for not playing this NOW? >:(||14||PolloDiablo (16532)
Nov 26, 2008
Cancelled PortA GameCube version was already planned, but was cancelled because previous Midway titles sold poorly on the platform.
DevelopmentThe creatures and characters in The Suffering were designed by movie special effects master Stan Winston (designer of the Terminator exoskeleton, the Predator, the Alien Queen and the Jurassic Park dinos).
German versionThere are a number of changes in the German version:
- The making of feature and a trailer were removed.
- There are no mutilated humans to be found.
- Several cutscenes were cut. In some just the blood was removed, a few scenes are completely darkened out.
- In the PlayStation 2 version, an instrument of torture was removed from a dead guard.
- All swastikas were removed (this applies to every version except US)
Re-releaseThe PC version was released as freeware on September 25, 2008.
- Golden Joystick Awards
- 2004 - Runner-up to The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay as Unsung Hero Game of the Year
Related Web Sites