Wacky Races (PlayStation 2)

missing cover art
4.5
Written by  :  CKeen The Great (145)
Written on  :  Jul 19, 2011
Platform  :  PlayStation 2

read more reviews by CKeen The Great

Summary

This is some pretty neat stuff right here.

The Good

Years ago, my father brought home a Wacky Races game for the PC. I used to watch the cartoon as a child so I thought it'd be cool to have a game for it. When I tried it however, I found it to be almost unplayable: Very bugged, and just not fun. It was a complete disappointment. So when my parents bought me a Playstation 2 one of the first games I had for it was this one. At first I thought "Oh no not a PS2 port of that lame computer game". Fortunately I was wrong, as this has nothing to do with the computer game. In fact, AFAIK this version of the game is pretty much the same as the Dreamcast version.

In this game you can revive the old Wacky Races. You can play as all the characters of the cartoon. Each character has its own set of advantages/attacks and becomes more powerful once you finish the Adventure mode. There are many types of battles here. From the traditional race (composed of laps, with the exception of very few maps), from special Deathmatch maps where your objective is to take out your adversaries instead of winning a race. There are also other kind of gamemodes, such as the "Gold Muttley" challenge or the Dick Dastaldly challenge.

All the maps are well done and it is especially fun to play them with friends. In a way this game reminds me of Crash Team Racing as the gameplay mechanics are pretty similar (There are weapons here as well). As I already mentioned the game supports up to 4 players races/battles which manage to be much more fun than playing against the AI which at times may become boring (even though it's pretty well done).

All characters are unique and well balanced. Three of them have to be unlocked by finishing the Adventure mode though. They often say things when they're winning/losing/attacking/getting hit, mostly resembling those said in the cartoon series. And this is a good touch to an already entertaining game.

The Bad

Well this isn't the best game ever made for sure but I can't think of any major flaws. It's just a fun, light-hearted car combat game.

The Bottom Line

So in the end, there is really nothing wrong with this game. I especially suggest it to those who like the cartoon and those who are looking for a game similar to Crash Team Racing. It's well worth your money.