New MobyGoal! We're aiming for 1,500 well documented Arcade games.

Xenosaga: Episode III - Also Sprach Zarathustra (PlayStation 2)

Written by  :  Jacob Gens (1107)
Written on  :  Mar 15, 2008
Rating  :  4.14 Stars4.14 Stars4.14 Stars4.14 Stars4.14 Stars

read more reviews by Jacob Gens

Summary

A bittersweet ending to the trilogy

The Good

Xenosaga is one of those games series that their redefines a genre or is just weird. The finale is a little bit of both. Xenosaga excels at storytelling, because they do tell a great story with excellent character development and a plot with plenty of twists and turns. The cutscenes and animation doesn't push the PS2 any but what it lacks in substance it makes up in style with some awesome fight sequences. The battle system has changed again which I don't understand why they do...anyway it works to the degree since it combines parts of Episodes 1 and 2.

The Bad

The very start I don't like since I will never like mechs fights.......EVER! Anyway, right after a great fight scene between Jin and Margulis I counted three full hours of walking around talking to people and watching cutscene after cutscene before fighting a single enemy. Frankly, it drove me crazy. Also, as I referred to above, Xenosaga is great at storytelling it just can be confusing sometimes. The Xenosaga series is one where you have to play through the entire series back to back in order to understand the story. Plus, the story guideline is just too much reading for me to handle.

The Bottom Line

For people who already have the first two games, its a must buy to finish the series and its $20 so there's no excuse not to get it. Also, fans of great storytelling should purchase the entire series (the entire series used should cost around $40) . It really is a good game if you can look past the few flaws.