Infinity Ward considered over 1,000 names before settling on Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
, including more humorous titles such as Call of Duty: Warnado
In the German version the blood in the sniper sequence during the mission "One Shot, One Kill" and the whole arcade mode were removed. In the multiplayer statistics "headshot" was translated to "Volltreffer" (direct hit).
- On the multiplayer map "Vacant", in the outside area, a truck is parked. Its licence plate reads: "Я3T4ЯD0", obviously a nod to the word "retardo", which is slang for "retard".
- There is a tribute to Airplane! in the mission "Mile High Club". When the screen loads one man can be overheard saying, "Surely you can't be serious?", with the other man replying "I'm serious..and don't call me Shirley". This is a homage to a scene between Leslie Nielsen and Robert Hays during the movie. The scene for CoD 4 can be seen here with the scene from Airplane! here.
- Three of the in-game level names are references to movies: "Charlie Don't Surf" is a line from Apocalypse Now, spoken by Colonel Kilgore; "One Shot, One Kill" from Sniper and "No Fighting In The War Room" from Doctor Strangelove, where the president declares: "Gentlemen! There's no fighting in the War Room!"
References to the game
- The game is referenced in detail during a conversation in the 2008 movie The Wrestler. While playing the fictitious game Wrestle Jam on an 8-bit Nintendo console, a boy tells Randy "The Ram" Robinson about Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
- The game was parodied in an episode of "Die Redaktion" (The Editorial Team), a monthly comedy video produced by the German gaming magazine GameStar. It was published on the DVD of issue 04/2008.
Information was also contributed by
Big John WV,
havoc of smeg,
- GAME British Academy Video Games Awards
- GamePro (Germany)
- March 28, 2008 - Best Console FPS in 2007 (Reader's Voting)
- 2007 – Game of the Year
- 2007 – PC Game of the Year
- 2007 – Console Game of the Year
- 2007 – Xbox 360 Game of the Year
- 2007 – PS3 Game of the Year
- 2007 – PC Action Game of the Year
- 2007 – Xbox 360 Action Game of the Year
- 2007 – PS3 Action Game of the Year
- 2007 – Xbox 360 Multiplayer Game of the Year
- 2007 – #2 Multiplayer Game of the Year
- 2007 – Best Graphics of the Year
- 2012 – #8 Top PC Gaming Intro
- GameStar (Germany)
- March 28, 2008 - Best PC Multiplayer Game in 2007
- September 2008 (issue 12/2008) - One of the "10 Coolest Levels" (Shock and Awe - It lures the player into a feeling of sure victory only to destroy it with one big blast.)
- Golden Joystick Awards
- 2008 - Ultimate Game of the Year
- 2008 - PC Game of the Year
- 2008 - Online Game of the Year