1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You DieHeavy Rain is mentioned in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by Tony Mott
Alternate CoverFor its North American release Sony decided to re-design the box cover to appeal to US audiences. However, as a small consolation for those stuck with the US packaging the official Playstation Blog uploaded a high-res, print-ready cover version of the original one. You can find it on the Playstation Blog's official flickr account or under the Links/Searches section.
BlackoutsEver wondered what the source of Ethan's blackouts was? In the original script for the game these blackouts were a result of the trauma Ethan sustained from his first son's death in the game's intro. Instead of just blacking out Ethan would find himself hallucinating a submerged house which he would explore until finding the drowned body of one of the Origami Killer's victims. In these hallucinations Ethan would actually have unknowingly been psychically connected to the mind of the killer.
Due to the backlash against the strong paranormal elements of the team's previous game, Indigo Prophecy, they decided to axe these segments only months before the game's release, leaving them as just unexplained blackouts.
CensorshipAlthough executive producer Guillaume de Fondaumière announced in October 2009 that the game would be culturally censored to cater to different territories, SCEA eventually confirmed in January 2010 that the game wouldn't be censored in the US, Europe or any other territories the firm has an office.
Japanese ReleaseThe Japanese release has manual and covers in Japanese, but it actually supports both Japanese and English. They are selectable individually for voice-acting, subtitles, and menus.
Origami BirdThe keep case contains a piece of paper with a print on it. While the game is installing, instructions are shown how to fold the paper into an origami bird, identical to the one shown on the game front cover.
SalesOn April 13, 2010, Sony Computer Entertainment and Quantic Dream announced that the 1 millionth copy of Heavy Rain had sold just 5 weeks following the game's release.
- 2006 – Best Trailer of the Year
- 2010 – Best Game of the Year
- 2010 – Best Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
- 2010 – Best PS3 Game of the Year
- 2010 – Best Adventure of the Year
- 2010 – Best Story of the Year
- 2010 – Best Music of the Year
- 2010 – #2 Best Localisation of the Year
- Develop Awards
- 2010 - Best New IP
- 2010 – PlayStation 3 Game of the Year
- 2010 – Adventure Game of the Year
- 2010 - Best Couple/Duo (Ethan Mars and Madison Paige) (People's Choice)
- 2010 - Best Innovation of the Year (People's Choice)
- 2010 - Best Lip Syncing (People's Choice)
- 2010 - Best Motion Capture (People's Choice)
- 2010 - Best Story (People's Choice)
- 2010 - Best Voice Acting (People's Choice)
- 2010 - Best Horror Game
- 2010 - Best PS3 Game of the Year
- 2010 - Most Innovative Game
- Japan Game Awards
- 2010 - Game Designer Award
- Milthon European Games Awards
- 2010 - Best Console game
- 2010 - Best Game Design