ControversyThe Church of England found the use of gunfights in one of the game's locations, the Manchester Cathedral, "a desecration" and asked to have the game pulled from the shelves. On June 9, 2007, they threatened legal action for featuring the building without permission and asked to have the game withdrawn, a public apology and a substantial donation. It eventually even became a question for UK prime minister Tony Blair in the Houses of Parliament.
Sony pointed out that historical buildings were often used in entertainment and eventually issued a public apology, without meeting the other demands.
Ironically, sales were proven to go up after the controversy and the game was nominated for a BAFTA (British Academy Video Game Award).
- 2006 – #10 Console Game of the Year
- 2006 – PS3 Game of the Year
- 2006 – PS3 Game of the Year (Gamers' Vote)
- 2006 – #4 Online Multiplayer Game of the Year
- 2006 – PS3 Shooter of the Year
- 2006 – PS3 Online Multiplayer Game of the Year