DescriptionHenry Townshend is a man living in a small apartment in South Ashfield, a neighboring town of the infamous Silent Hill. On one strange night, Henry has a terrible nightmare, with recurring events: his phone is dead, his windows are sealed, and his neighbors can't hear him. He looks at his door, only to see it is blocked by several thick metal chains. A note is pinned to the door: "Don't go out!" It is signed only by a man named Walter. Henry explores his apartment, trying to figure out what is happening, when he spots a giant hole in the wall of his bathroom. Henry goes through the hole, only to find a portal which leads him to alternate dimensions. Hopefully, Henry will find out the truth about his apartment, Room 302, and live.
Silent Hill 4: The Room is similar to past games in terms of atmosphere. The game is dark and foreboding, never letting the player know what's behind the next corner or down the street. This installment of the series includes multiple new features. Henry never actually leaves his apartment: he utilizes a strange portal to travel to alternate dimensions, including a hospital, a cult command center deep in the forest, and a prison. Aside from the traditional third-person-view, there is now a first-person mode, which is used to control Henry when he is in his apartment. Objects that can be interacted with are highlighted by eyeball icons.
The previous games in the series have mostly been about exploring the town and solving puzzles; this installment has much more combat involved. There are more enemies in a given area, and more narrow areas and cramped spaces. Henry mostly uses a standard Silent Hill arsenal of weapons, such as the steel pipe, pistol, and (new to this game) a golf club.
There are no PlayStation 3 user screenshots for this game.
There are 44 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
- "寂静岭4: 密室惊魂" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "SH4" -- Common abbreviation
- "Jijing Ling 4: Mishi Jinghun" -- Chinese title
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for the PlayStation 3 release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
There are no critic reviews for this game.
There are currently no topics for this game.
DevelopmentSilent Hill 4: The Room wasn't originally going to be a Silent Hill game. Towards the end of production, though, Konami decided to make it into the Silent Hill series. That's the reason why it doesn't actually take place in Silent Hill.
RatingSilent Hill 4: The Room is the very first Silent Hill game to be rated 18.
- Walter Sullivan is mentioned in Silent Hill 2. He is described as a psychopathic killer who chopped two children into pieces with an axe.
- Another reference to Silent Hill 2, after you complete Building World, go into the bathroom and select the toilet. It will ask you if you want to remove an item that is stuck. The response is quite amusing and is a reference to James Sunderland removing a wallet from a toilet in Silent Hill 2. This was also referenced in Silent Hill 3 with Heather in the bathroom of the alternate mall.
- If you turn on the radio in the first half of the game, when it still gives you the news, the game's producer, Suguru Murakoshi, is said to have been caught "urinating from atop a utility pole".
- 2004 – PC Adventure Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- Silent Hill 4: The Room (Official page)
- Silent Hill 4: The Room (Konami of Europe) (Official European site.)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.