Despite what a first-time player might think, the enemies aren't randomly generated -- each of the gangs has nine pre-defined members, each with his own specific name, appearance, and even different stats.
- When you are on the 3rd floor of the school and you fight the "Dragon Twins", the background music is the same music from the NES game Double Dragon.
- The gang duo Benny & Clyde is an obvious take on the famous criminal duo "Bonnie and Clyde" from the 1930s.
In the original Japanese version (Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari
) the characters wore schoolboy jackets and belonged to high schools instead of gangs. This was changed in the American version because the jackets could be mistaken for bathrobes and beating up evil gang members seemed like a more worthy cause. This, however, does not apply to the Game Boy Advance port, where the character still wear the "bathrobes" in the American version.
Information also contributed by
- Electronic Gaming Monthly
- December 1989 (Issue 5) - Most Power-Ups in a Video Game
- 2004 – Best Use of Barf of the Year (GBA)