DescriptionRiver Raid is a vertically scrolling action game. You fly a jet up a river in an attempt to destroy bridges which are vital to the enemy. The river is heavily guarded, however, with balloons, ships, choppers, and enemy aircraft trying to stop you. Along the way you will need to fly over fuel stations to refuel your jet and keep flying.
The plane is armed with a cannon with unlimited ammo. It can be used to destroy the enemy vehicles and bridges, but a careless player can accidentally destroy a fuel station. Colliding with the riverbanks or with the enemy aircraft destroys your plane and makes you lose a life.
- "Carol Shaw's River Raid" -- Alternate title
Part of the Following Groups
|Simple, yet a masterpiece.||Atari 8-bit||jose vargas (20)|
|An incredible game - one of the best ever||Atari 2600||MagFram (43)|
|One of the best games on the Atari 2600||Atari 2600||James Eldridge (64)|
|Defunct Games||ColecoVision||May 22, 2015||A||100|
|The Video Game Critic||Atari 2600||Aug 30, 2005||A||100|
|Tilt||Atari 2600||Jul, 1983||100|
|The Video Game Critic||ColecoVision||Jun 12, 2004||A||100|
|Game Freaks 365||Atari 2600||Jul 03, 2010||9.2 out of 10||92|
|All Game Guide||Atari 2600||1998||90|
|The Video Game Critic||Atari 5200||Oct 05, 2000||B+||83|
|Atari HQ||Atari 2600||2002||8 out of 10||80|
|Zzap!||Commodore 64||Jun, 1987||70 out of 100||70|
|Your Spectrum||ZX Spectrum||Nov, 1984||8 out of 15||53|
There are currently no topics for this game.
TriviaRiver Raid holds a sad record. With this game, the German BPjS (Federal Examination Office for Youth-Endangering Publications) expanded into the area of computer games.
Put on the German index for being, among other things, a "para-military training game for kids" on December 19, 1984.
For about 18 years, this game was not just an adult only game in Germany, but it was also illegal to advertise for it and therefore (as advertise also means the pure presence on a store's shelf) it could only bought per request.
But the story had a good end: de-indexed by the BPjS in January 2003 after a verification request by Activision. Otherwise it would be on the index until December 2009 (25 year statute of limitations law appendix; originally, it wouldn't be de-indexed automatically).
Related Web Sites
- AtariAge (Atari 2600) (for Atari 2600: downloadable ROM; scans; manuals; additional material)
- AtariAge (Atari 5200) (for Atari 5200: downloadable ROM; scans; manuals; additional material)
- AtariMania (Atari 2600) (for Atari 2600: database; downloadable releases; artwork; additional material)
- AtariMania (Atari 5200) (for Atari 5200: database; downloadable releases; artwork; additional material)
- AtariMania (Atari 8-bit) (for Atari 8-bit: database; downloadable releases; artwork; additional material)
- Game Base 64 (for C64: Downloadable links, Database, Music, Emulation, Frontends, Reviews and Articles)
- Internet Archive (for ZX Spectrum: downloadable release; online emulation of game; additional material)
- Lemon 64 (for C64: games, reviews and music)
- Wikipedia (combined platform entry)
- World of Spectrum (for ZX Spectrum: release information; additional material; player reviews; magazine references; magazine adverts)