DescriptionIn early Japan, a man named Shiro Tokisada Amakusa preaches a heretic religion. Little does anyone know that Amakusa is really a servant of the evil Ambrosia, who took over Amakusa's body. Ambrosia wishes to shroud the world in darkness. Now, choose between 12 warriors, and 3 bonus characters (the Genesis version does not have Earthquake - removed due to size limitations) to fight for the honor of destroying Amakusa, and fulfilling a mission.
- "侍魂" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Samurai Spirits" -- Japanese title
- "Samurai Shodown! - Pocket Fighting Series" -- Neo Geo Pocket title
- "Samurai Shodown 1" -- Informal name
- "Nettou Samurai Spirits" -- Japanese Game Boy title
- "サムライスピリッツ" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
|A great translation of the Neo Geo original.||Luis Arocho (3)|
The Press Says
|Video Games & Computer Entertainment||Sep, 1995||8 out of 10||80|
|Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM)||Jun, 1995||7.5 out of 10||75|
|Sega-16.com||Jun 24, 2010||7 out of 10||70|
|GamePro (US)||Sep, 1995||3 out of 5||60|
|The Video Game Critic||Mar 12, 2002||D-||16|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Japanese releaseStrangely enough, when the 3DO version was released in Japan, it was under the overseas name instead of the original Japanese title.
Hattori HanzoEither coincidence or not, the ninja Hattori Hanzo is actually a real samurai in medieval Japan. The "real" Hattori Hanzo served under the daimyo Tokugawa Ieyasu. Fans of Nobunaga's Ambition will recognize this.
- Vol.6, Issue 2 - Fighting Game of the Year 1993 (Editors' Choice)