Sonic CD (SEGA CD)

4.2
Written by  :  Forever Sport (26)
Written on  :  Aug 14, 2006
Platform  :  SEGA CD

read more reviews by Forever Sport

Summary

I sense something - a feeling I have not felt since..

The Good

This is widely known as the best Sonic game ever released, and for good reason. On the surface, it seems like the same old Sonic 2, Sonic 3 gameplay. Same happy character, same joyful jumping and spinning, same beautiful levels, same catchy tunes, and the same innocent and nostalgic feel. But once level into this game, you notice all is not the same. The Sonic franchise has been given a shot of nitrious. The levels are darker, the music is cooler, and the character seems like he grew up a bit. The target audience seems to have changed from Pokemon playing GameBoy Kids, to those who are old enough to be Gran Turismo 4 and Madden 06' addicted. This is the action/adventure/platformer all us Genesis generation guys have been waiting for. True, like all Sonic games, this is a game for ALL ages.. but in this case, Sonic is a bit different, and we like him this way!

I'm sorry if I offend anyone when I say this, but this game is better than Super Mario Bros., better than Crash Bandicoot, better than Alex the Kidd, better than Rayman, better than Shinobi, better than Ghouls 'N Ghosts, and better than any other 2d, if not any platformer ever.

Sonic CD puts a cool aura, and a good hero together.

This is the kind of "smooth" game that made SEGA's name in the 90s.

Whether played on Sega CD or Windows.. you'll see how simple & clean yet so very good this game is.

The Bad

Why did they not expand and improve on this? SEGA..... I'm sure this would of sold much better than the 3d adventure (after Sonic Heroes) starring dark Knuckles and a machine gun!?

The Bottom Line

A benchmark in 2d gaming. Stands alongside other greats such as:

Gunstar Heroes, Earthworm Jim, Donkey Kong Country, Street Fighter II, Alladin, Super Punchout, Blood Bros., Samurai Showdown 2, Andy Sullivan's Indy Heat, Guardian Heroes, Metal Slug, Contra ...