Captain Silver (SEGA Master System)

2.8
Written by  :  Weston Sharpensteen (32)
Written on  :  Feb 01, 2013
Platform  :  SEGA Master System
read more reviews by Weston Sharpensteen

Summary

A good Master System pickup. IF it's the right version.....

The Good

The graphics blow away the NES/Famicom's graphics. For a late 80's SMS game, you could almost call it an early Mega Drive game if you only saw it. This was an arcade game and SEGA did a great job porting it to 8-bit hardware.

The game has some very catchy tunes. Even if you don't have FM sound, you might still be humming later on.

The controls are well and tight and pretty responsive.

The gameplay is extremely fun and addicting. It plays like a beat-em-up combined with a side scrolling platformer. It is a nice pirate game that will surely be a regular on your old Master System.

The Bad

However, you really should get the PAL or Japanese version over the American version of Captain Silver. In the version we got, TWO WHOLE LEVELS are missing. Why SEGA of America would even think this was a good idea I'll never know. Instead of a 6 level game, we get a short 4 level game.

The game is very cheap. You get a 1 hit death system. And you get killed from birds, crabs, and small town fountains of water! C'mon!!!

This might not be a real complaint, but I don't know if there's really a story to this game. All I know is you're some pirate going around beating enemies.

The Bottom Line

Overall, this is a pretty fun game and one of the better Master System titles. But you really need the one of the European of Japanese versions. Like I said, 4 LEVELS???!!!