New MobyGoal! We're aiming for 1,500 well documented Arcade games.

Double Dragon (SEGA Master System)

Written by  :  Liam Dowds (51)
Written on  :  Nov 26, 2003
Platform  :  SEGA Master System
Rating  :  3.75 Stars3.75 Stars3.75 Stars3.75 Stars3.75 Stars

read more reviews by Liam Dowds

Summary

Street Fighting Brothers

The Good

It's Christmas 1991, I receive Double Dragon. I don't know what it is. I stick it into the old Master System and load it up. 3 Hours later, I along with my Brother am still playing DD. Not exactly sure why, but I love this game.

I think it has to do with the simplicity of the plot. Bad guy takes Girl, You fight entire Bad Guy Army and rescue Girl. Pretty simple. Perhaps it is the semi-sick plot twist at the end of the the two player mode, which pits Brother against Brother for the heart of the Girl. Perhaps it's the music. Who knows they're all great.

Double Dragon is a side scrolling beat-em-up. Perhaps one of the first. Most definitely the first I played. You have a range of karate style moves & there are several weapons to be found along the way which you must use to beat 4 levels worth of enemies to a pulp.

The final level is the most visually & technically accomplished as you make your way through the booby trap laden enemy HQ. The two player mode is the best way to play this game as this will allow you to see the bizarre ending, where you must slug it out with your own brother to get the girl. Quite strange, even today. This was a game which really pushed the Master System to it's limits but is a wholly enjoyable game, which appeared in one format or another just about everywhere.

It's not the best looking game now, but this was the one that spawned so many imitations. And one of the only titles I can remember where the Main Baddie wastes his own guys just to get you.

A top game, that I still play every now and then.

The Bad

On the SMS version there was some quite bad clipping, which is a shame, as it's the only flaw.

The Bottom Line

Head bashing from back in the day that still holds up.