GOG Witcher Promo: 30% off The Witcher 3 and up to 85% off the Witcher Franchise!

Zillion (SEGA Master System)

Written by  :  re_fold (281)
Written on  :  Mar 28, 2004
Rating  :  3.67 Stars3.67 Stars3.67 Stars3.67 Stars3.67 Stars

read more reviews by re_fold

Summary

Short and sweet.

The Good

Not just a pure action game, Zillion is also about discovering the underground base, finding passcodes, and some very light puzzling. The balance is very good; i loved the simple action, and enjoyed mapping out the base (i still have an old paper in the game's case with the hand-drawn base on it).

The building of your character's abilities, and later on in the game, the two rescued teammates, progresses fluidly and natural. Reasonable animation, good graphics.

Low difficulty- essential for children; being challenged in just the right amount.

The time-limit does not hinder you once you have cleared the game once- i have replayed this game several times, and within the hour i was back on the surface. For me, this is a good thing, because this cart didn't have a save feature.

After entering the code to destroy the base, you need to get out of there FAST! This was such an exhilarating experience, and a great finale.

Parallax scrolling on the Master System! I remember seeing some Mega Drive game with that effect but on this little console as well? Of course,it does not add anything to the game and is only used to amaze the kids of that day. And i was amazed.

The Bad

Looking at the Master System's capabilities, this game looks, sounds, and plays just fine. I do not see anything wrong with it. Perhaps my memory focuses on the better aspects, forgetting the lesser ones?

The Bottom Line

Very playable, this quality game is a valued part of my gaming history for good reasons!