missing cover art
DescriptionIn the first Uncharted Waters game, it was the 15th century and the New World was discovered. Now in New Horizons, it is the early 16th century and the age of exploration and sea trade is underway. Players choose from any one of six adventurers (scenarios), each with their own distinctive but intertwining plot, to embark on a quest of sailing, seamanship and exploration. The six characters are:
- João Franco is the son of Duke Leon Franco, the hero of the first Uncharted Waters game and an influential man in Portugal. His father wants to make him into a strong man and so decides to send him out to sea. Young Joao is tasked with learning the skills of the sailor (he is the only character who starts at level one) and embarking on a quest of discovery; reaching the far east and eventually looking for the secret of Atlantis.
- Catalina Erantzo is a Spanish naval officer who believes her beloved and her brother were both murdered by the Portuguese armada. Vowing revenge she turns to a life of piracy and soon becomes a red haired scourge of the seas.
- Pietro Conti is a indebted man, having inherited the financial woes of the Conti family. When the Duchess Franco hires him to spy on her son, he accepts the job and obtains a ship. Pietro hopes to use these resources to seek out valuable treasure and clear up his family's debt.
- Ernst Von Bohr is a geographer who is teaching classes in Holland. But he yearns to leave the classroom and sail the high seas, living a life of adventure that he has only read about in books. When his friend, Mercator offers to finance his initial voyage in exchange for cartography information about the world, Ernst is given the opportunity to live out his dream.
- Ali Vezas is a poor orphaned child living in Istanbul and serving others. He dreams of becoming his own master and making his own fortune across foreign lands. A twist of fate aides in providing him with small loans, with which he is able to afford his first ship and sail out with a cargo hold full of goods...
- Otto Baynes styles himself a Royal Knight of the British Empire, in the service of his majesty the king. Promoted to Admiral of the British fleet, the kingdom is worried about the increased naval power of Spanish fleets. Otto is given a letter of marque by the king and ordered to terrorize the Spanish Fleet. Equipping himself simply at first, Otto strives to become a great Privateer in the name of King and Country.
During naval combat, the game becomes a turn-based top-down strategy game, with the player moving ships in order to obtain trajectories needed to fire cannons at enemy ships, or run alongside enemy vessels in order to board them. If the player's flagship attacks the flagship of the enemy fleet, they can challenge the opponent to a duel. If accepted, the game changes to a side-view of the two captains engaged in a fight. During this sequence, the player can only choose which fighting maneuver (strike, thrust, parry, lash) they wish to engage in.
There are no Sharp X68000 screenshots for this game.
There are 72 other screenshots on file for other versions of this game.
- "大航海時代Ⅱ" -- Japanese spelling
- "Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons" -- Common title
- "Uncharted Waters" -- SNES/Genesis/DOS Title Screen title
- "Daikōkai Jidai II" -- Japanese title
Part of the Following Groups
- Merchant / Trade-oriented games
- Rékoeiation series
- Theme: Sea Pirates
- Uncharted Waters / Daikōkai Jidai series
There are no reviews for the Sharp X68000 release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
The Press Says
There are no rankings for this game.
There are currently no topics for this game.
TriviaUncharted Waters 2: New Horizons has a lot of bugs and 'un-user-friendly features', uncommon for a game published by Koei. Anyway, here's one irritating bug I've found out: Half to 3/4 of your crew suddenly vanish in thin air while your sailing. This happend to me in Northern Europe near Antwerp. No idea why this occured (not because of rations) nor where they went...
Related Web Sites
- New Horizons (A good web with all you want to known about the game.)
- Official website link 1 (Explains every hero in the game.)
- Official website link 2 (Hints)
- Official website link 3 (Charts and Hints)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.