DescriptionSky Shark is a top-down shooter similar to Raiden. You start off with four lives and three bombs. With that (you can get more lives at certain point intervals, and more bombs can be found), you, the "Sky Shark" of your squadron, blast through five levels of enemy-infested battlefields with as many as six gun upgrades (Aside from the bombs and the gun upgrade, there are no other weapons to be found at all). Includes three difficulty levels and two-player support.
There are no promo images for this game
- "Hishou Zame" -- Japanese title
- "Flying Shark" -- European title
- "Flyingshark" -- Alternate European title spelling
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for this game.
|Crash!||ZX Spectrum||Feb, 1988||85 out of 100||85|
|The Games Machine (UK)||ZX Spectrum||Feb, 1988||83 out of 100||83|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||ZX Spectrum||Feb, 1988||8 out of 10||80|
|The One||Atari ST||Dec, 1988||76 out of 100||76|
|Popular Computing Weekly||ZX Spectrum||Dec 17, 1987||15 out of 20||75|
|Happy Computer||Commodore 64||Jan, 1988||72 out of 100||72|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Commodore 64||Feb, 1988||6 out of 10||60|
|Retrogaming History||Atari ST||Dec 01, 2010||5 out of 10||50|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Commodore 64||Jan, 1988||5.4 out of 12||45|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Commodore 64 versionsThe Commodore 64 received two different ports of this game.
In Europe, Firebird in the UK released a version of the game titled "Flying Shark", converted by Catalyst Coders.
Taito themselves released a version in the United States, titled "Sky Shark", converted by Software Creations.
DOS graphic modesSurprisingly enough, this game supports VGA mode, although the EGA/VGA screenshot bears a far greater resemblance to EGA graphics than VGA.
AircraftAlthough the cover art shows a P-40 Warhawk and the description even says you are supposed to be flying a P-40, the aircraft you fly in-game is a biplane.
- October 1988 (issue #13) - Included in the Top-100 list of 1987/1988 (editorial staff selection)
Related Web Sites
- AtariMania (Firebird, UK, Atari ST) (For Atari ST: game entry database; downloadable release; game packaging; advertisement; manuals; magazine reviews; additional material.)
- CPC-Power (in French) (For Amstrad CPC: game database entry; game packaging; manual digitalizations; goodies; advertisement; magazine reviews; downloadable releases; additional material.)
- CPCRrulez (in French) (For Amstrad CPC: game database entry; advertisement; game packaging; downloadable releases; additional material.)
- DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS (Compatibility information page about the original game and its DOSBox versions. )
- Hall of Light (For Amiga: game database entry; digitalised manuals; game packaging; screenshots; additional material.)
- Lemon 64 (For Commodore 64: game entry database; advertisement; magazine reviews; music; documentation; cover art; additional material.)
- The Arcade Flyer Archive (Flying Shark, Electrocoin) (for Arcade: digital repository for advertisement flyers)
- The Arcade Flyer Archive (Hi Sho Zame, Taito) (for Arcade: digital repository for advertisement flyers)
- The Arcade Flyer Archive (Sky Shark, Romstar) (for Arcade: digital repository for advertisement flyers)
- The International Arcade Museum (Flying Shark, Taito) (for Arcade: extensive information about the arcade game machine.)
- The International Arcade Museum (Sky Shark, Romstar) (for Arcade: extensive information about the arcade game machine.)
- The Tipshop (For ZX Spectrum: a central archive for all Spectrum and SAM games hints, tips, cheats, maps, hacks and pokes.)
- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Encyclopaedic entry for the combined platforms of the game.)
- World of Spectrum (For ZX Spectrum: downloadable releases; additional material including – cassette inlay, advertisement, instructions; remakes links; player reviews; magazine references; magazine adverts.)
- ZX-Art - online archive of pixel art and 8-bit music (For ZX Spectrum: music, credits, pixel art. artist's graphics artwork.)