DescriptionThe hideous Red Falcon, thought to have been destroyed long ago by the Earth's greatest commandos, Mad Dog and Scorpion, has risen again, this time very angry and thirsty for revenge. His armies are marching through the cities, across the lands, with the intention of exterminating the human race like a bad case of fleas. Two commandos, Jimbo and Sully, have come forth now to defeat Red Falcon and save what remains of the world from his hideous plans.
The Alien War is the third entry in the Contra series. Like its predecessors, it is a predominantly side-scrolling shooter with a heavy emphasis on action. The protagonist can carry two weapons (as opposed to one in the previous entries), and fire in eight directions when standing still. New abilities include climbing on walls, grabbing poles and navigating tanks. Parts of scenery can be destroyed.
In a few instances the protagonist will also participate in motorcycle changes. Two stages have a top-down view and are played differently than the side-scrolling levels, with more freedom of exploration and the necessity to complete mission objectives rather than simply advance in one direction and kill all the enemies.
- "魂斗羅スピリッツ" -- Japanese spelling
- "Super Probotector: The Alien Rebels" -- European SNES title
- "Probotector 2" -- European Game Boy title
- "Contra: The Alien Wars" -- US Game Boy title
- "Contra Spirits" -- Japanese title
Part of the Following Group
|A magnificent pinnacle in videogame-history!||Jay the Avenger (10)|
|Great 2-player game!||DudeOfMonson (106)|
The Press Says
|N-Force||Feb, 1993||92 out of 100||92|
|Nintendo Land||2003||91 out of 100||91|
|The Video Game Critic||Jan 29, 2000||A-||91|
|Netjak||Jan 06, 2003||9 out of 10||90|
|Nintendo Land||2003||90 out of 100||90|
|Power Play||May, 1992||90 out of 100||90|
|Game Zero||Jun, 1992||89 out of 100||89|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Jul 22, 2009||17 out of 20||85|
|Digital Press - Classic Video Games||Dec 10, 2003||8 out of 10||80|
|Cubed3||Sep 27, 2003||8 out of 10||80|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesThe SNES version of Contra III: The Alien Wars appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
European versionFor the European release all humans were redrawn as robots.
ExplosionDuring the airstrike on the first stage, the explosion plays the Contra III theme.
Information also contributed by Foozies
Related Web Sites
- The Contra Headquarters (A hosted fan "shrine" site devoted to all the games of the Contra series, including the SNES game Contra III: The Alien Wars. Content includes game info/descriptions, plot summaries, various kinds of media (images, MP3s, etc.) and links to other Contra-related sites.)
- The Contra Headquarters (A hosted fan "shrine" site devoted to all the games of the Contra series, including the Game Boy game Contra: The Alien Wars. Content includes game info/descriptions, plot summaries, various kinds of media (images, MP3s, etc.) and links to other Contra-related sites. )