EarthBound (SNES)

4.2
Written by  :  KFactor (80)
Written on  :  Nov 08, 2003
Platform  :  SNES

read more reviews by KFactor

Summary

Awesome Game

The Good

The story, the humour, the music, the characters, everything about this game is great. There are things in the game that are completely pointless except to make the player laugh at them. In every town there is at least one nonsensical person who asks a question just to be silly.

Playing through it more than once is an amazing experience. The first time you are too busy worrying about where to go and what to do. If you forgot something or if you need something.

The only other RPG that I can remember feeling that good about beating was Chrono Trigger, and I've played a LOT of games.

The Bad

Later on in the game the worlds seemed rushed. You spend a good hour or two in each of the first cities but once you get to the end you can basically walk through the last 3 or 4 areas in a half hour.

The Bottom Line

If you play it, take your time and talk/check everything you come upon, you never know what little treats you may find (The bus stops actually work? Took me 2 times through the game to find that out.) Play it and enjoy it for what is there, not what you think should be or what is missing.

Soon, though I'm not sure how soon, Earthbound and Mother (the original), are due out for the GBA some time in the next year or so. With the possibility of Earthbound 2 as well. It is definitely worth the time to play it.