EarthBound (SNES)

4.2
Written by  :  SlapHappy (19)
Written on  :  Nov 29, 2004
Platform  :  SNES
read more reviews by SlapHappy

Summary

A game different even in this era

The Good

The ending. Seriously. It was the best part of the game. Now, that isn't saying that the rest of the game wasn't likable. Earthbound has a very endearing quality to it. The setting is a modern one -- cityscapes and ATM machines, Yo-yo's and frying pans for weapons, taking a ride on that good ol' public transportation(perhaps the best tune in the game to accompany you). Speaking of music, not all of it is original, or it at least seemed that way --I thought I heard "Hey You" by Pink Floyd hidden in there -- but most of it is enjoyable. This was the first RPG game of this kind that I experienced diagonal walk cycles, a most pleasant surprise. It added to the smoothness of the game. That leads into the graphics, which were pleasing to the eye.

The Bad

Maybe a lot, maybe a little. The story doesn't really carry the game until the end. It feels all over the place, or not really put together. One easily knows what is going on, but not because of story, just instinctually. Most of the conversation is, well, childish, even too childish for a child, I'd say. Corny may be a better word.

The Bottom Line

It is no doubt a game worth playing, if not to kill time, then one to enjoy the experience of something different, or at least somewhat different.