DescriptionThe streets of Metro City are filled with criminals who are part of a gang called Mad Gear. Former wrestler and newly elected mayor Mike Haggar tries to do something about it, much to the displeasure of the Mad Gear Gang who kidnap his daughter Jessica. Only three people are brave enough to venture into the crime-infested streets and try to bring Jessica back.
Final Fight is a 2D side-scrolling fighting game. Taking on the role of either Cody, Guy, or the mayor Mike Haggar himself, you must advance through six areas of the city clearing out the gang infestation. You will have to cope with a variety of thugs, ranging from firebomb-throwing maniacs to behemoth wrestlers. To defeat these thugs, you have an arsenal of punches, kicks, throws, and jump kicks at your disposal.
SNES port offers only two playable characters: Cody and Haggar. It is also single player only. Later, Final Fight Guy was released in which Cody was replaced with Guy.
- "Street Fighter '89" -- Working Title
- "Final Fight One" -- GBA title
- "Final Fight CD" -- SEGA CD title
- "ファイナルファイト" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
|Only for the die-hard fans who have no other options.||DarkBubble (370)|
|If only this was the final fight...||MasterMegid (897)|
|Smashing heads has never been so much fun!||Baxter Arnett (15)|
The Press Says
|Nintendo Magazine System UK||Oct, 1992||92 out of 100||92|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Mar, 1991||92 out of 100||92|
|Player One||Sep, 1992||90 out of 100||90|
|Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM)||Aug, 1991||7.25 out of 10||72|
|Power Play||Apr, 1991||70 out of 100||70|
|1UP!||Jan 02, 2002||70 out of 100||70|
|All Game Guide||1998||60|
|The Video Game Critic||Feb 24, 2004||C+||58|
|HonestGamers||Jan 13, 2004||5 out of 10||50|
|HonestGamers||Nov 25, 2004||4 out of 10||40|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesThe Arcade version of Final Fight appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
DevelopmentCapcom firstly designed Final Fight to be the sequel to Street Fighter named Street Fighter '89, but they changed their minds and decided to give the game a new name and start a new series.
- All home computer versions of Final Fight include a shot of the Mayor's daughter tied up in her underwear during the opening sequence, which was only seen in Japanese arcades (it was censored in Europe and America).
- The female gang members (Poison/Roxy, etc.) haven't had much luck appearing in the home ports of the game. All the Nintendo versions replaced them completely with male enemies (this includes the recent GBA remake, at least the US version) and while they appear in some rare ports they can only be found with edited clothing. Only the rare Japanese SEGA CD version shows them in their original form.
- In the Super Nintendo port, the names of some bosses were changed (Damnd became Thrasher and Sodom became Katana). The censorship also cut the whiskey from the list of power ups and took away all female enemies of the game, leaving only men.
- In the arcade version after destroying the car (bonus area), a character comes along and cries "Oh My God!". On the Super Nintendo this was changed to "Oh My Car!"
- In contrast to the SNES version of Final Fight, the U.S. version of Final Fight CD had less differences to the original Japanese version: the girl punks were given slightly longer clothes, blood was taken out, Jessica wears her red dress in the intro (she was stripped to her underwear in the arcade and Japanese versions), DamnD's name was changed to Thrasher, Sodom's name was changed to Katana, the "SEXY" graffiti from the restroom stalls in one level was removed, and the references to beer and whisky were removed.
Wrestling connectionThe enemy Andore was based on a wrestler called Andre the Giant. The story of Mike Haggar also has a parallel with the story of former wrestler Jesse Ventura, who left the ring to become governor in Minnesota.
Information also contributed by Alexander Michel, Cantillon, Depth Lord, Johnny "ThunderPeel2001" Walker, Perfil Falso, and Zovni.