Final Fight 2 (SNES)

3.4
Written by  :  Mr Almond (2567)
Written on  :  Dec 11, 2006
Platform  :  SNES

read more reviews by Mr Almond

Summary

Not as good as we'd hoped.

The Good

If anything this sequel had the opportunity to fix the problems with the first game (i.e. lack of 2 player and character selections)and improve. The 2 player option and number of selectable characters have been fixed but the game has not moved on significantly since the 1990 original. The gameplay now moves on an up & down play field as well a left to right which gives the gameplay some variance from the original, but is hardly an inclusion to request much praise.

The Bad

While the choice of three playable characters is new to the game, the selectable characters are too similar to the original arcade game to make this anything new. Also, due to the plot of the game being spread over many continents, the enemy sprites re-spawning too frequently across levels simply spoiled it for my liking. Much of the game also feels like a redrawn version of the first. The backgrounds may have changed but the enemies are all to familiar, Fast moving guy with quick punches? Check. Fat guy with running charge attack? Check. Skinny guy with daggers? Check. Capcom seemed to have taken the age old saying of "If it 'aint broke then don't fix it", and tweaked it to mean "Fix what was broke, but don't make it any better".

The Bottom Line

With a bit of hindsight, this game is not that bad. Yes it let a lot of gamers down at the time, but I would feel let down too after paying £50+ for this game new. As it stands now, and with the price of pre-owned carts making SNES gaming a bit more reasonable then I would defiantly recommend this to people who like the scrolling beat-'em up genre. Just don't expect anything too special.