Forums > Game Forums > Tiny Toon Adventures: Wacky Sports Challenge > The progenitor of Mario Party?

Juventas (3) on 6/28/2012 7:12 AM · Permalink · Report

Using the Multitap, up to 4 players compete in simple, silly mini-games, often simultaneously. When I first played Mario Party on N64, I thought I was playing a spinoff of Wacky Sports. The Wii was practically designed around this "party game" phenomena. Was Wacky Sports the first?

vedder (70767) on 6/28/2012 8:08 AM · Permalink · Report

I think it grew from games like "Summer Games" and "Track and Field" which were popular on 8-bit computers such as the Commodore 64. Though those games had perhaps a more serious presentation, they had similar game mechanics with different mini-games for different sports and designed with multiplayer in mind.

Juventas (3) on 6/29/2012 2:51 AM · Permalink · Report

Except they required you to take turns. Simultaneous play is a different world of interaction (now the norm). The progression for me was 4-player arcade machines, Super Bomberman 2, Wacky Sports, and so on. Was there 4-player simultaneous games in that period that I'm forgetting, or wasn't a part of?

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93757) on 6/29/2012 2:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Sega's Puzzle & Action series dates back a few years further, but I'm sure there are other such examples.