In Zombies Ate My Neighbors
, the player takes the role of a male or female protagonist (Zeke or Julia), fighting vampires, mummies, zombies, and other horrifying creatures. The goal is to destroy these monsters, survive the 50+ levels (not including secret ones), and rescue the neighbors that have survived the onslaught.
There is a defined number of neighbors who can be saved on every level. When they are all rescued, an "Exit" door opens, and the player advances to the next level. The levels range from mall and grocery store to beaches and football fields. Using different weapons such as bazooka or water gun, Zeke and Julia have to kill regular enemies and bosses (huge babies, dragons, ants, and others) at the end of the levels. Despite the horror theme, the game's setting contains humorous elements as well. A two-player cooperative mode is available.
- "Zombies" -- European title
Part of the Following Groups
The Press Says
At the end of the game there's a special credits level called "Monsters Among Us"
in which you walk around in the LucasArts
headquarters. The game developers are sitting at their desks or just hang around and when you approach them they will tell you who they are and what their role in the development of the game was.
Some bits of trivia regarding this credits level:
- George Lucas welcomes you at the door tells you to get back to work.
- A woman at a desk says: "watch out for our boss Kelly Flock".
- Steve Purcell, of Sam & Max fame, is dressed up like Indiana Jones.
- The purple tentacle from Day of the Tentacle is one of the monsters in this level.
- A guy at a desk says: "I cannot wait for the robot game" (anybody got an idea which game he means? I guess it's something related to Star Wars)
Want to play this level? Take a look at the Tips & Tricks section.
In the European version, the enemy representing Jason Voorhees (from the Friday the 13th
film series) was given an axe instead of a chainsaw. Also the death over screen is now green.
The "robot game" referenced in the credits level is "Metal Warriors
" for the SNES, which was the next game done by the same team.Information also contributed by