Lara Croft is a Tomb Raider, an archaeologist who explores ancient sites in search of valuable artifacts, who is hired to retrieve an artifact from a tomb in Peru, which turns out to be one of three parts of the Atlantean Scion. Soon betrayed by her employer, Lara Croft travels to Greece, Rome and Egypt to recover the other parts before this powerful device falls into the wrong hands.Tomb Raider
is a 3D action game with platforming and puzzle-solving elements, in which players control Lara Croft from a third-person perspective. The camera follows Lara as she climbs, jumps, and swims through detailed environs overcoming environmental obstacles and deadly fauna. Moving through levels often involves finding spots where Lara can climb, looking for spots where Lara can use her acrobatic ability, and sliding blocks and pushing levers to solve puzzles and open passageways.
Lara is armed with twin pistols with infinite ammunition, but she can pick up higher caliber weapons to take on deadlier human opponents. Lara also comes across restorative health packs and has a compass with which she can orient herself. Lara’s opponents include animals, gunmen, as well as primeval and supernatural beings. Careful explorers can also find secret areas and avoid traps.
- "古墓奇兵" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "古墓丽影" -- Chinese title (simplified)
- "TR1" -- short tittle
- "Tomb Raider starring Lara Croft" -- N-Gage title
- "Tomb Raiders" -- Japanese title
- "Tomb Raider I" -- Steam release
- "トゥームレイダース" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
The Press Says
||5 out of 5
||Jun 05, 1996
||Mar 29, 2003
||Nov 01, 1996
||9.4 out of 10
||Jun 23, 2003
||9.2 out of 10
||Mar 20, 1997
||9 out of 10
||Aug 03, 2009
||18 out of 20
||88 out of 100
||Dec 24, 2003
||14 out of 20
||Dec 06, 2004
||4 out of 10
In addition to having the soundtrack (well, ambiance sounds are more like it) encoded as redbook audio, Core also recorded as cd tracks the dialogue and sound for all the in-game-engine cutscenes (not the rendered ones), meaning the cutscenes can be listened to on any CD player.
The main character was originally going to be a man but during production they changed it to a woman, originally named Laura Cruz and later changed to Laura Croft. The design of the protagonist was partially based on Lead Designer Toby Gard
's sister, Frances. He originally increased Croft's bust as a joke, but the rest of the team thought it was a good look for her, and it stuck. Gard was, understandably, mortified and allegedly he quit his job at Core Design in 1997 about it.
In succession of the game's release, Laura Croft became a media hype and widely known outside gaming circles. In addition to appearing in magazines, TV, etc... she was also featured in the music video Männer sind Schweine
("Men are pigs") from the German band Die Ärzte and in U2's "POP Mart" in several clips showing her on her bike, and shooting the audience. That's right, on the worlds largest screen.
The Tomb Raider
level data format has been reverse engineered and it's called TRosettaStone
. Each level contains all the data besides the music, so there is level geometry, all models, all textures and sounds; some of the files are repeated several times trough levels.
The levels are composed of blocks. It enables game to have some Sokoban
-like puzzles. Each such block can have several triggers in it. The game uses skeletal animation and waypoints for the AI.
In addition to numerous comics from Top Cow Productions, Lara Croft's cross-promotional adventures have included a trilogy of novels inspired by the games, published by Ballantine Books:
- The Amulet of Power (2004), by Mike Resnick;
- The Lost Cult (2004) by E. E. Knight; and
- The Man of Bronze (2005) by James Alan Gardner.
There was a rumoured cheat to turn Lara Croft nude. It said that if you tapped out the tune to the Spice Girls song Wannabe
on the keyboard Lara would start dancing and then take her clothes off. This one is false. But soon after the release, someone found out how to replace the clothing textures and released a custom "nude patch" (DOS version only of course). It revealed everything and it became a big hype on the net. The patch is still floating around, just search for "nrpa103.zip". Custom nude patches were developed for later Tomb Raider
games as well.
The Sold-out version of this game is missing the audio tracks. There is however a "fix" for this by searching the web for stella's tomb raider site it has tons of info and patches on making this game work and including the missing audio.
Information also contributed by
Big John WV,
Indra was here,
- Computer Gaming World
- May 1999 (Issue #178) - Introduced into the Hall of Fame
- February 2005 (Issue 200) - #35 in the "Greatest Games of Their Time" list
- GameStar (Germany
- Issue 12/1999 - #6 in the "100 Most Important PC Games of the Nineties" ranking
- Issue 01/2007 - One of the "Ten Most Influential PC Games" (It marks the rising of Lara Croft as first game character which manages to be a long-running brand beyond the video-game industry, even more so than Nintendo's Mario. Lara Croft is also one of the first established female game protagonists in a male-driven industry.)
- PC Gamer
- August 2001 (Issue 100) - #86 in the "Top 100 Games of All Time" poll
- April 2005 - #37 in the "50 Best Games of All Time" list
- Retro Gamer
- Issue 37 - #22 in the "Top 25 Platformers of All Time" poll