On January 31, 1995, Total Carnage
was put on the infamous German index by the BPjS. For more information about what this means and to see a list of games sharing the same fate, take a look here: BPjS/BPjM indexed games
There are a number of changes in the SNES version:
- All blood was re-coloured green .
- Various gore effects were removed.
- In one cutscene, a soldier who gets eaten by a monster was replaced by a van.
- The variety of hostages was reduced (e.g., no soldiers anymore) and they don't scream for help.
- A few dialogues were changed.
- The look of the first boss was changed and most graphical effects during the fight were removed.
- In the second level, a sequence involving an electric chair was removed.
- During the final boss fight, the whole second phase was removed - the reason is a Hitler reference.
- SPOILER: The end sequence was completely changed. In the SNES version, the villain goes to jail instead on the electric chair.
A complete list of changes can be found on schnittberichte.com