DescriptionThe people of Gradius are in trouble. The ameoboid Bacterions have launched an all out attack against the planet, and it's up to you to fly into battle and save them. Along the way you'll be able to power up your ship with hyper speed, force fields, lasers, missiles, double beam cannons and more to help you battle.
Gradius is a side-scrolling shooter. Shooting certain enemies will leave a power up pod behind which can be collected to add more power to your ship. Each level features a wide variety of enemies trying to stop you, with a large boss at the end. Gameplay is for one player or two players alternating.
- "宇宙巡航机" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Nemesis" -- European Arcade & Computer title
- "グラディウス" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Arcade Archives series
- Game Center CX challenge games
- Genre: Scrolling shoot 'em up
- Gradius series
- Video games turned into board / card games
There are no reviews for the TurboGrafx-16 release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Feb, 1992||92 out of 100||92|
|All Game Guide||1998||80|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesThe Arcade version of Gradius appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Arcade versionThe coin-op arcade version of this game was such a success, rumor has it that it caused a coin shortage in Japan.
Konami CodeThe NES version was the first game to use the famous Konami Code.
BBC Micro conversionA & B Computing reported in 1987 about a BBC Micro port that was developed, but never finished. The programmer was later revealed to be Kenton Price.
NES versionIn the arcade game, players could carry up to four options. Due to technical limits of the NES, here they can only have two.
X68000 supplementGradius was bundled with the X68000 computer in Japan, which enforces its status as a "killer app".
- Power Play
- 1987 - #3 Best C64 Game '87
- Issue 01/1990 - Best Nintendo Game in 1989
Related Web Sites
- 2006 Retro Remakes Competition (A complete Windows remake of Nemesis/Gradius was one of the entries.)
- Planet Gradius (A fansite containing game-related info, artwork and music, plus some emulations of Konami's games.)