Omega Race (VIC-20)

4.4
Written by  :  r h (15)
Written on  :  Jan 05, 2007
Platform  :  VIC-20
read more reviews by r h

Summary

Fun space-themed game

The Good

I really enjoyed the smooth sprite movement and crisp graphics of the ships in the game. And of course, the unique "rebound" movement off of the boundaries at the edges of the playfield. If I recall, the arcade game was vector based (like asteroids or star castle--drawn with lines rather than pixels) but the designers did a good job of recreating the ships for the Vic 20 in pixel form. It's a game that lets you clear a few levels at moderate difficulty before getting absolutely too hard, which I appreciated because my video game skills aren't the best.

The Bad

Nothing.

The Bottom Line

Not much got lost from the arcade to the Vic 20 on this game. The smoothness of the controls for thrust, ship movement, rebounding, etc. makes for a very enjoyable game. I brought it home and my Dad wound up enjoying it as much as I did. Probably my favorite game for the Vic 20. When I first played the game I'd try to stay in one spot and not move much, but I found to be really successful at this game, it's helpful to really learn how to use thrust and rebounding to get you where you want to be on the screen. A lot of fun overall.