WarCraft: Orcs & Humans Trivia
Hybrid PC/MAC VersionWhen the game was ported to the Macintosh, it was released on a so-called "Hybrid Disc". A Hybrid Disc can be read by both a PC and a Mac, containing those respective computer's CD-ROM file systems. This disc contains audio tracks with the game's music, and can be played on any device which will play CD Audio. The music will only be heard in-game with the Macintosh version. PC-Only discs lack the CD Audio tracks.
InnovationsWarcraft was a game of many "firsts" in the RTS world. It was the first RTS game to support multiplayer capability, and the first to have multiple resource types to harvest.
NovelsIn addition to a board game and Sword & Sorcery Studios' 2003 pen-and-paper RPG system, the Warcraft setting has yielded quite a number of novels. Pocket Books have published a handful of distinct titles:
- Day of the Dragon (2001), by Richard A. Knaak, set between Warcraft II and III
- Lord of the Clans (2001), by Christie Golden
- The Last Guardian (2001), by Jeff Grubb
- Of Blood and Honour (2001), an e-book by Warcraft developer Chris Metzen.
- The Well of Eternity (2004)
- The Demon Soul (2004)
- The Sundering (2005)
- Dragon Hunt (2005)
- Shadows of Ice (2006)
- Ghostlands (2007)
- If you repeatedly click on any Orcish unit he will eventually say "zug zug!" A little known fact is that in the 1981 film Cavemen "zug zug" is caveman-speak for sexual intercourse.
- The red banner visible during orc briefings is the same as banner of Sarlac in the game Blackthorne, also developed by Blizzard. You can see it in this screenshot.
WarhammerIn the beginning stages of development Blizzard did consider using the Warhammer license for Warcraft, and this was even pushed for by Ayman Adham to give the game brand recognition. However, after their terrible experiences with DC Comics during the development of Superman and Justice League games, the rest of the staff decided to instead create an original property.
Information also contributed by Chentzilla, Maw, Pseudo_Intellectual and xxxxxxxxxxx