DescriptionBubble Bobble is the story of two humans, Bub and Bob who wander into the mysterious cave of monsters and magically turn into dinosaurs. The only way to transform back is to reach the end of the cave...
Bubble Bobble is a platform game, with each level being a single screen. The enemies must be cleared from a level to go to the next one. With one player controlling Bub and the other controlling Bob, the player can jump and collect items for points (such as fruit). The real power Bub and Bob have however is the ability to blow bubbles. These bubbles can be as platforms to leap on, or to trap enemies. Enemies trapped in a bubble must be popped by jumping into them, wherein they'll turn to fruit. Additionally, power-ups sometimes float by in bubbles. They include lightning, which flies out horizontally at enemies, and water, which drags the player and enemies straight down flowing over platforms. Taking too long to complete any level will summon Baron Von Blubba, who will float around the screen trying to destroy the player.
There are no Wii user screenshots for this game.
There are 165 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
- "泡泡龍" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "Final Bubble Bobble" -- Japanese SEGA Master System title
- "Dragon Maze" -- Brazilian SEGA Master System title
- "Arcade Archives: Bubble Bobble" -- PS4 title
- "バブルボブル" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for the Wii release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||Nov 24, 2007||9 out of 10||90|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Sep 16, 2011||17 out of 20||85|
|Nintendo Life||Nov 24, 2007||80|
|GameSpot||Dec 18, 2007||8 out of 10||80|
|IGN||Jan 08, 2008||7.5 out of 10||75|
|Mag'64||Jan 30, 2009||7.5 out of 10||75|
|Official Nintendo Magazine||Jan 10, 2008||70 out of 100||70|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesThe Arcade version of Bubble Bobble appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Cancelled mobile portSometime in the early 2000s, Stephen Ruddy (author of the C64 conversion) attempted to port the game to mobile phones using Java. All 100 levels were copied across, including most of the movement patterns, but the game was never completed. This site has some video of what does exist.
EndingsIf you finished level 99 by killing the enemies you got the bad ending. You had to get the secret key which opened up another 120 or so levels.
ReferencesThough there have been many games based on the Bubble Bobble characters, a game called Chack'n Pop(1984) featured several of the characters and powerups later seen in Bubble Bobble. The main character from that game, Chackn, appears as one of the level designs in Bubble Bobble and also makes cameos in most of the sequels and derivative games.
- October 1988 (issue #13) - Included in the Top-100 list of 1987/1988 (editorial staff selection)
- Commodore Format
- January 1991 (Issue 4) - listed in the A to Z of Classic Games article (Great)
- July 1993 (Issue 34) - Modern Classics: Platformers
- November 1994 (Issue 50) – #9 The All-Time Top 50 C64 Games
- Computer and Video Games
- May 1988 (Issue #79) - Golden Joystick 1988 Award: Third in category Arcade Game of the Year
- Retro Gamer
- October 2004 (Issue #9) – #12 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 37 – #7 in the "Top 25 Platformers of All Time" poll
- Newsfield Reader's Awards 1987 - Best Arcade Conversion (readers choice)
- Newsfield Reader's Awards 1987 - Best Platform Game (readers choice)
- January 1990 (Issue 57) – 'The Best Games of the 80's Decade' (Stuart Wynne)
Related Web Sites
- Bubble Bobble @ Bubble Bobble HQ (Describes the game (not limited to one platform). Offers related downloads.)
- The Bub and Bob Page (Site about Bubble Bobble and related games such as Bust-a-Move/Puzzle Bobble and New Zealand Story.)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.