Tecmo, initially a supplier of cleaning equipment and now best known for Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive, was founded on this day in 1967!

Deadly Creatures (Wii)

Teen
Written by  :  FireHorsePrime (20)
Written on  :  Feb 16, 2014
Rating  :  2.29 Stars2.29 Stars2.29 Stars2.29 Stars2.29 Stars

read more reviews by FireHorsePrime

Summary

Great idea, superb atmosphere, but flaws take a bite out of the fun.

The Good

I liked alternating between tarantula and scorpion which keeps the game interesting. Good save configuration that doesn't leave you beaten to a pulp and having to backtrack your steps too much. While the environments are dull and drab they are what you would expect in the middle of the desert, and the music and sound effects are just right. Many times I got a "Borderlands" vibe while playing the game, which was nice. Creep factor doesn't get too overpowering.

The Bad

Lots of camera issues, especially during fight sequences, where the camera changes focus on the enemy instead of where you want it to point, which ends up being an off-handed way of saying "you can't do anything else till you kill the bad guy". I would also often throw the game into a visual loop, as if it didn't know whether to point behind me or in front of me which ended up giving me a strobe like effect. Objects such as plants and debris block view of enemies. Controls seem overly tough to compensate for lack of content reducing the experience to a fighting game than a hunt and gather experience. I often felt like the adaptive AI was letting me win because of the control scheme. One particular battle seemed to end abruptly with no conflict after about my fifth try. I don't like to be too stressed out when I play a game but don't hold my hand.

The Bottom Line

If you ever wanted to feel what it was like to be a big bug, here's your game!