Written by  :  Fake Spam (94)
Written on  :  Oct 08, 2008
Platform  :  Wii

read more reviews by Fake Spam

Summary

HARD!

The Good

Hey, it's like playing an old NES game. And I don't have to adjust the resolution on my HDTV to play it normally. There's also downloadable content, which is neato. The controls are excellent, it's old-fashioned Capcom. The cinemas are funny and clever, too. Also, save spots, so no more passwords.

The Bad

It's fraggin' HARD! Not since Mega Man Xtreme was there a Mega Man game this hard (and before that, the original Mega Man X). I mean, I thought I was nutty, so I played the previous Mega Man games on that Anniversary Collection for GameCube, and I had a decent time getting through those classics, some like Mega Man 5 and Mega Man 6, I never played before, so this game is really hard. And, on an HDTV, I can see the interlace lines easily, so I know it was made for old TVs. And though the NES "retro" look is cool, it would've been nice to have an enhanced version, too look like 7 or 8. At least to look like 7. The cinemas also last a bit too long for my taste (if I want a story, I'll read a novel).

The Bottom Line

Mega Man 9 is a great game in sea of bad games. For the main series to be on hold for so long, it's great to welcome back the hero for another installment. It sticks to Mega Man's past very well, and is worth purchase price. Plus, with the downloadable content, the game could go on forever and ever.

I also recommend a CliffRacer NES-to-GameCube controller adapter, to use for this game, and a real NES controller. It actually helps whole heaps like you wouldn't believe.