Red Steel (Wii)

Written by  :  Ynda (18)
Written on  :  Oct 28, 2007
Rating  :  4.71 Stars4.71 Stars4.71 Stars4.71 Stars4.71 Stars

read more reviews by Ynda

Summary

Excellent New-Gen fps (with some dodgey sword play)

The Good

This is a gripping fps game where the shooting and control via the Wii-Remote is excellent (I'll mention the sword fighting later). The ultra-real feeling plot is somewhat suspect in places but you do feel pulled along and need to complete. It is very gratifying completing some of the more difficult levels. I really thought the graphics were excellent with great renditions in Japan, subtle lighting effects, great realistic characters. The sounds were a treat too: especially when the speaker on Wii-Remote was used!

The Bad

The much hyped sword fighting wasn't so great. The more you tried to "do it right" the harder it appeared to be. The cut-scenes were weak (2D slide show). I didn't like the game save/load selection controls etc: this should be a lot easier!

The Bottom Line

While very grim and quite spooky, there were some moments of both black humour (the men dressed as school girls) and just sheer fun (I won't spoil the surprise) - overall an excellent, excellent fps but with some very dodgey sword play. For a first release game for the Wii, you have to admire it: it really is exciting!