BossesAt the end of the third stage you will have to fight against... yourself (depending on which character you've chosen to play with)!
CoverWhen the UK magazine Mean Machines Sega reviewed the game in 1994, they had their art editor draw a cover picture with Zan and Blaze standing in front of the building. Sega Europe bought the rights to the artwork to use it for the cover of the UK/Europe release.
Cut contentAccording to several pre-release screenshots, there was originally a section where the players got to ride the motorcycles they are so often attacked by. This section was obviously removed for the final version.
Hidden charactersIn the Japanese version of the game (Bare Knuckle 3), along with the other hidden characters, you can also unlock and play as an 'effeminite' male character named Ash, after beating him in Round 1. He cannot wield weapons and has very few attacks, though he's ridiculously quick and is far too strong to use in a normal game. Ash can also be unlocked in the US version by using the Game Genie.
ReferencesThe character Blaze is very reminiscent of the female character in SEGA's 1985 coin-op Flashgal.
PAL and US versionThere are a number of changes in the US and PAL releases:
- A part of the intro and a picture in the bad ending were cut.
- All characters but Zan have slightly different clothes.
- The female enemies have more clothes.
- The police chief (in the original a general) has no beard anymore.
- The boss Ash was replaced with Sheeva (a character from the predecessor) and the boss Break was renamed to Axel.
- In level one of the original, there is a hole in a wall in one place. The wall part was completely removed.
PatchThere is an unofficial translation patch available for the original Bare Knuckles 3 Megadrive release, which effectively allows to play the game in English without the content changes that happened when the game was officially localized.
Information also contributed by CaptainCanuck, Mad Griffith and Matt Keller
Contributed by Sciere (228140) on Feb 29, 2004. [revised by : Patrick Bregger (98898) and Trypticon (6091)]. -- edit trivia