Super Mario 64 Trivia (Wii)
1001 Video GamesThe N64 version of Super Mario 64 appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Cancelled sequelThere was going to be a sequel done, for either the N64 or 64DD, that would have Luigi as a playable character too, but it was never completed. It is possible that this game later became Luigi's Mansion.
Collecting all starsAfter collecting every star in the castle, Bowser will say a different message upon his defeat in the sky. Also, a cannon opens outside the castle to launch you onto the roof for a surprise.
First N64 gameSuper Mario 64 was the very first game for the N64.
"L is real 2041"One of the biggest mysteries surrounding this game is that of an inscription on the star statue in the castle courtyard (near the entrance to World 5). The inscription reads, "L is Real 2041" or "Eternal Star". However, a sign in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time also says this when you look at it (but reads something else when you read it). This sign is located in the Dodongo Dungeon, near the Gorons' home. Whether this was a gag by Nintendo or if they just decided to recycle textures is unknown.
- February 2006 - #6 out of 200 of the "Greatest Games of Their Time"
- Game Informer Magazine
- Issue 100, August 2001 - #12 in the Top 100 Games of All Time (poll)
- Issue 138 - October 2004 - one of the "Top 25 Most Influential Games of All Time"
- 2001 – #11 Top Game of All Time
- Retro Gamer
- October 2004 (Issue #9) – #17 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 37 - #4 in the "Top 25 Platformers of All Time" (poll)
Information also contributed by Big John WV, Brolin Empey, PCGamer77 and Tiago Jacques.