DescriptionA collection of Super Mario characters, including Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Bowser and Donkey Kong Jr., are out to win the Super Mario Kart championship. Using Mode 7 scaling, the first true kart game on the SNES has you collecting coins to boost your speed while using shells and bananas to stop others on the track.
There are 4 cups in all to race for, Mushroom Cup, Flower Cup, Star Cup and Special Cup, each with a selection of tracks to race on (based in Bowser's Castle, Super Mario World and more). Plus, a 2 player battle mode is on offer, where the first to pop the three balloons wins.
- "スーパーマリオカート" -- Japanese spelling
- "슈퍼 마리오 카트" -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Game Center CX challenge games
- Genre: Kart racing
- Mario games
- Mario Kart series
- Nintendo Player's Choice releases
There are no reviews for the Wii release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|Nintendo Life||Nov 24, 2009||90|
|IGN||Nov 23, 2009||9 out of 10||90|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Jan 02, 2010||18 out of 20||90|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesThe SNES version of Super Mario Kart appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
InnovationSuper Mario Kart is often credited with inventing the kart racing genre.
Japanese versionIn the original Japanese version, Bowser and the Princess drink champagne during the award ceremony after they won the race. In the Western versions they only wave with the bottle.
- Issue #200 - #19 out of 200 "Greatest Games of Their Time"
- Game Informer
- August 2001 (Issue #100) - #35 in the "Top 100 Games of All Time" poll
- Power Play
- Issue 02/1993 – Best SNES Game in 1992
- Retro Gamer
- October 2004 (Issue #9) – #13 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- Super Mario Kart (Official site (SNES, Japanese))
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.