Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Wii)

Written by  :  Fake Spam (94)
Written on  :  Feb 01, 2008
Platform  :  Wii

read more reviews by Fake Spam

Summary

Is it Castlevania or Ninja Turtles?

The Good

The graphics are sharper, though that improves nothing, and the music is up'd a lil' bit, like more bass. The controls with a CliffRacer NES controller adaptation works really, really well. And the Wii emulation saves your current status, so that's a bonus that the computer versions had, and that works well for me. I don't know if it's intended or not, but some levels are harder and some easier than I recall on the original NES version, could be due to the emulation not computing numbers right.

The Bad

The music's volume is extremely low, and I have to turn my TV up to around 40 to listen, which the Wii's menu is around 15. That's no good. Then the Wiimote stinks for this game, or any NES game for that matter, and the Classic Controller blows because of the lame-ass mapping that somebody at Nintendo can't get right to this day (has Nintendo even notice how our hands hold a controller?). I had to buy from CliffRacer an adapter to use my original NES controllers because of the bad mapping. Then the actual layout of the game...was Konami going for Castlevania in the City or something? To this day, people love/hate this game.

The Bottom Line

This is not a review of the actual game, but a comparison review of the Wii's VC version compared to the gem of the original. Seems like Konami was in a hurry to cash in on the TMNT movie "craze" that never happened (bad movie or something? I don't know.). It's not bad, it's just not better. I'd just avoid it and go get the 360's arcade game instead. (And don't get me started on the MS-DOS version of this game!)