New MobyGoal! We're aiming for 1,500 well documented Arcade games.

WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Wii)

Written by  :  Pagen HD (81)
Written on  :  Aug 10, 2013
Rating  :  2.17 Stars2.17 Stars2.17 Stars2.17 Stars2.17 Stars

read more reviews by Pagen HD

Summary

The most narrow-minded game ever made?

The Good

It's made by Nintendo. Or at least it runs on a Nintendo console. That's probably the one thing good about this game. It's like, "I think St. Anger is a horrible album but since Metallica is one of my favorite bands, I'll get that album just to support the band."

The Bad

1. Wiimote isn't meant to be used in so many (20?) different ways. Some of them work, but there will certainly be some levels(micro-levels) where the Wii controls feel horribly imprecise. It doesn't matter how many levels work. The player will only remember the levels that don't work.

2. It's narrow-minded (part 1). Once you start a level, you can't quit to the menu screen. You can't go to any "in-game menu" screen. You just can't. The only way to even *pause* the game is to press the Wii Home button. So, once a level starts,

3. It's narrow-minded (part 2). You're restricted to one solution to each micro-level. How you were going to play each level was already determined when they designed it. There's no room for your own ideas anymore. You have to do exactly what they planned for you to do. So, I don't consider this to be a legitimate game. In a legitimate game, you can accomplish a task in a variety of ways (Deus Ex, Fire Emblem).

4. Much of the gameplay is watching the cinematics which can't be skipped. I'd say about 80% of the gameplay is watching, and 20% is actual interaction.

5. Unpleasant aesthetics. A little like the MTV short video sketches. Very random and somewhat chaotic.

6. Basically you fail a level before you even figure out what's going on, and have to replay several times to beat it. Now, there are Japanese avant-garde experimental games that are meant to provide a huge sense of frustration, and even though Smooth Moves isn't quite that hard (it's easy to beat a level after 2 or 3 attempts), the design philosophy behind it is similar.

The Bottom Line

It really doesn't feel smooth at all.