1001 Video Games
appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die
by General Editor Tony Mott.
- The 9 holes of golf Wii Sports includes are taken from Nintendo's NES game Golf.
- The white building in the background of the tennis game is Nintendo's Japanese headquarters in Kyoto.
References to the game
In the movie Tropic Thunder Matthew McConaughey's
character can be seen playing Wii Sports'
tennis and bowling games. It also appears in the 2009 movie (500) Days of Summer
, the 2010 movie Somewhere
. and Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
In 2009 it was announced that Wii Sports
had officially become the biggest selling Nintendo
game, outdoing Super Mario Bros.
in sales in just two and a half years. This was due to the fact that the game is bundled with the console and is counted every time a console is bought. However, by the end of 2008, Japan had sold over 3.2 million copies of the game (it is not bundled with the system in Japan).
Information also contributed by
Big John WV,
Johia S. Slone and
- 2006 – #3 Biggest Wii Game of the Year
- 2006 – #2 Biggest Surprise of the Year
- 2006 – #3 Most Innovative Game Design of the Year
- 2006 – #3 Best Party Game of the Year
- 2007 - Winner in the Sports; Innovation; Gameplay; Multiplayer; Casual; and Strategy and Simulation categories.
- 2007 - Nominee as Best Game
- Golden Joystick Awards
- 2007 - Family Game of the Year