The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery
DevelopmentThe Beast Within was originally intended to take place over the course of nine chapters instead of six. The additional three would have had the player shift into the past in order to play as King Ludwig II. These chapters were ultimately cut from the game due to time constraints, budgetary limitations, and the fact that this would have required even more CDs for a game that already requires six discs.
The game's backgrounds were created from photographs taken on location in Germany.
German languageMost Germans in The Beast Within are played by American actors. They thus speak German with a bemusing English accent. In the completely localized German version of the game, quite a few "German" characters have a notable American accent, which is even stranger. Additionally, because Gabriel and Grace speak German in the localized version, the translators had a problem in dealing with scenes in which one of the protagonists speaks to a German and doesn't understand him. The problem was solved somewhat half-heartedly by suggesting that Gabriel and company speak High German, whereas the locals speak in a Bavarian dialect.
German versionWhen the game was first released in Germany it was the un-dubbed and un-subtitled version which had a few scenes censored (for example, a character sitting in his cave and eating flesh from a human bone). The screen would go black and instead of being able to see what was happening the player would instead see a short message on the screen in German simply describing the scene. When the game was later released in its localized German these scenes were uncensored.
- In the game's opening movie, the camera shows a close-up of a scar on Gabriel's arm (acquired in Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers). The scar is on the wrong arm.
- There is no sign of the chapel in Schloss Ritter that featured so prominently in Sins of the Fathers.
- When Grace browses the part of the Schattenjäger library that is supposed to contain books on the occult, she finds a book on Lycantrophy between volumes with such German titles as Das Nest and Der Arzt von Stalingrad. These are novels without any relation to occultism.
- On looking at a window display of watches in Munich, Gabriel claims that he can't stand wearing things on his wrist. In a later scene, a watch is clearly visible on his arm.
- German Volkswagen Golf keys have a standardized look. The car key that Gabriel carries around in his inventory will unlock anything except the Golf he drives. His car also has no license plate.
- Even though Grace doesn't speak German, she has no problem reading loudly from Cosima Wagner's diary, which was most likely not written in English.
- In the book Lore and Law it is said that in Brazil there's a priesthood society called "Manos Del Sol" (Hands of the Sun). But the language spoken in Brazil is Portuguese, and "Manos Del Sol" is in Spanish. The correct name would be "Homens do Sol", as is seen in Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned, when Gabriel researches the same subject on SIDNEY, the computer database of shadow hunter data.
ActorsKay Kuter (Werner Huber) seems to enjoy playing the role of a bartender; he also plays one (Griswold Goodsoup) in The Curse of Monkey Island.
NovelJane Jensen, the series' designer, has written a novelization of this game as well as one of the first game (Sins of the Fathers).
- Computer Gaming World
- June 1996 (Issue #143) – Game of the Year
- November 1996 (15h anniversary issue) - #17 in the “150 Best Games of All Time” list
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #10 Hardest Computer Game
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #7 Most Memorable Game Villain (Fredrick von Glower)
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #4 Most Rewarding Ending of All Time
- November 2003 (Issue #232) – Introduced into the Hall of Fame
- PC Gamer
- April 2005 - #33 in the "50 Best Games of All Time" list
Contributed by Eurythmic (2613) on May 15, 1999. [revised by : Agent 5 (8285) and MobyGames was killed by GameFly (89453)].