Forums > Game Forums > Desert Storm with Coalition Command > how in the world does one actually play?

eXo (346) on 8/5/2014 12:40 PM · Permalink · Report

The blurb here states that the user can interact and make choices in the game, even talking to various advisors.

My disc doesn't seem to have all that.

Upon installing there are two aspects to the disc. The database full of pictures and audio, and "the game". It creates several batch files on the root folder.

Gulfhi.bat runs the database in SVGA (according to the install program, however gulflo.bat seems to look identical).

The other set of batch files are gulfcchi and gulfcclo, which are supposed to start command control. Both options launch a screen that shows units moving through IRAQ with a day counter at the top. It runs automatically. After this completes, it switches to a single battle and shows several tanks blow each other up from a top down view. It then drops to dos.

Nothing I do seems to change this.

There is a third set of files created called democchi.bat and democclo.bat, hoeever it is just a few lines of text with a "goto top" statement ... even though there is no label in the batch file for "top". The lines state that the user can press "any key" to stop the demo loop in the first 10 seconds, and then something about pressing control-break to take over gameplay. However I get no response at all to any key presses.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

eXo (346) on 8/28/2014 11:04 PM · Permalink · Report

I figured this out. The problem was in the way dosbox handled batch routines.

Either using true dos installed in dosbox or running a shell like 4dos on top of dosbox fixes the problem.