Empire Deluxe (Windows 3.x)

3.2
Written by  :  Simon Haller (17)
Written on  :  Apr 25, 2004
Platform  :  Windows 3.x
read more reviews by Simon Haller

Summary

The Classic War-game gets a wonderful conversion

The Good

The attention to the original game for DOS (1987) was astute and fully realized. This was exactly the same game, except, I believe, planes could fly over ships.

By 1993, the most impressive thing about Empire was that it worked well in Windows 3.1, unlike most other programs written for that 16-bit beast of a partial OS. Aside from Compuserve, it was the only reason I opened Windows, and unlike Compuserve, it didn't crash.

The following was also true of version I:

Empire had a very useful group of commands which could automate a unit--or a group of units' movement. These included Escorts, Patrols, and Long Range movements, all of which could speed up your movement turn, and few of which have been used to speed up the turns of later, allegedly more advanced games by richer, allegedly more able companies.

The Bad

Just once in the 1990 period I saw a version of Empire being played on an Apple. It had space satellites and nuclear weapons. I've not seen it again but it led to some high expectations that were not realized on the PC/Windows version. This release was much about getting the game into a different OS than about changing the game.

The Bottom Line

It's Empire...except in Windows. (Like Solitaire...its in Windows too).