Solomon's Key for the NES was released in Japan on this day in 1986.

7 Days a Skeptic (Windows)

Written by  :  Czar Husk Qi (39)
Written on  :  Aug 27, 2007

read more reviews by Czar Husk Qi

Summary

Like a chewed bubble gum with almost no flavor.

The Good

Let's start with the good. I though the music and the sound effects, although scarce, were kind of nice and well put, I particularly liked the intro piano music a lot and the sudden stabbing sound effects. We have characters that are distinctive and with situations that resemble the first game. And... well, I admit I was hooked and wanted to beat it quickly. I'd add some points for the gore too.

The Bad

This game is cheesy and dumb. First of all, if you compare the title with the prequel's you might think this game should be like longer and more elaborated than the first, but despite that the game takes as much time as the other to be completed, if not less. A reason for this is that as a sequel it's more action driven while the first was more story driven. The little story the game has is impaled with logic gaps that are just dumb, and also the dialogue is generic and lacking in wit and humour unlike the more earthly driven prequel. And same with the first one we have a very limited environment with wasted possibilities of interaction. The crappy interface make the game look even more anemic due to its limitations. The graphics and scenarios are poor.

And the whole idea of making a space sequel of "5 Days a Stranger"... it might sound like it can be something original if you have faith in the wits of the creator (I had for a while), but what it came up really feels like a stretched bubble gum with almost no flavor.

The Bottom Line

This is a sequel to the unbelievably acclaimed amateurish mini horror adventure game, "5 Days a Stranger". Not bad for a free award winning AGS game, but not good enough for the reputation it got. But still better than this, which has to be one of the most forced and unnecessary sequels of an amateurish award winning game ever.