A New Beginning (Windows)

Written by  :  Ingsoc (592)
Written on  :  Dec 23, 2013
Rating  :  2.17 Stars2.17 Stars2.17 Stars2.17 Stars2.17 Stars

read more reviews by Ingsoc

Summary

Promise much, deliver little

The Good

As my review gonna be harsh I should mention the only redeeming aspect of this game and that is the graphics, I loved the whole cartoon style that the game used (without looking childish) and I think that the idea to have the cutscenes in the form of motion comic book panels was brilliant and well executed.

The Bad

That being said the rest of the game had much to be desired, the plot was good at the beginning and had potential but it didn't really went anywhere beside green propaganda and preaching.

The acting (I played the English localization, can't say about the original German version) is pretty terrible, most of the characters sounds robotic and say their lines without any emotions - this especially true for Fay, the game main protagonist.

Also the game is full of terrible bugs, there is part where you need to watch again a cutscene of your team mate die because the game "forgot" it already showed it to you, parts that the inventory didn't work properly (thought there is a way around it) and from chapter 6 you simply can't save your games (only with the quick save). All those are pretty major bugs which shouldn't happened , certainly as this is a supposedly patched addition (hence the term "Final Cut" at the title) which were suppose to be bugs free.

The Bottom Line

Despite the initial good plot and good graphics the game is pretty bad and those good points doesn't manage to rescue it from bad writing and numerous bugs.