Activision's Commodore 64 15 Pack (Windows)

Written by  :  Chris Martin (1098)
Written on  :  Jan 13, 2001
read more reviews by Chris Martin

Summary

15 classic games... some great, some no-so-great....

The Good

Emulation technology has come ahead leaps and bounds in the last few years, but only recently has it become commercially viable to put out these games.

The C64 15 pack is one of these compilation packs that kinda make you go... huh?

The choice of games is odd. There are some classic game here, like Hacker, Top Fuel Eliminator, The Great American Cross Country Road Race, and Decathalon. But the rest of the games are ones I've never heard of, and I've been in games for a long time. Park Patrol? Beamrider? Couldn't tell you about them if I tried. The only 2 games I hadn't played before that I liked were The Little Computer People (Think The Sims on C64) and Portal (which isn't really a game, more like an interactive novel).

Also included are interveiws with each of the original game designers and programmers along with game histories, which makes for some fascinating reading.

The emulation of the C64 is impressive, but I still can't figure out why it took so long to emulate such an old computer. :)

The Bad

Some of the features are lame. One feature is the "Reality" mode. It is basically a pop-up window that appears at a random time and pretends that it's your kid brother or your parents try to harass you on the computer. It's pretty stupid.

The Bottom Line

It's a nice compilation. If you find it, but it just for Hacker, Top Fuel Eliminator and Decathalon.