Age of Wonders (Windows)

Written by  :  Grov (646)
Written on  :  Dec 20, 2001

read more reviews by Grov

Summary

AoW sets the standard for future fantasy TBS-games.

The Good

Well, this is my favorite game of all time, and here I will try to explain why... First time I played the game I was not that impressed, and put it on the shelf for a month. I tried it again later, and was hooked. The cartoon-like graphics which I found boring at first, after a while showed to add to the feeling of the game. And the large amount of units makes this game never boring, you never know what kind of ugly creatures youll find in a dungeon, and one battle is never like the other.

Also the music is the best music I ever heard in a game (it's made by Michiel van den Bos).

One fun aspect is also the play by E-mail feature. It's more fun than it sounds.

Also the support from the developers is great. They frequently visits the gamers forum and reflect on game suggestions.

The Bad

The AI could be better, and the map editor could have more story-telling features (even if the developers added some features after gamers suggestions).

The Bottom Line

A turn based fantasy game, taking place in a beautiful world with a lot of different creatures.