DescriptionIn 1932, Alexandre Valembois was a young explorer who, with his native friend Anonio Alverez, wanted to make a name for himself by exploring the mysterious Amerzone region. Befriended by the natives of the region, he witnessed a strange ritual involving a giant egg of the famed white birds. Wanting to prove that the white birds existed, Alexandre stole the mysterious egg and betrayed the natives' trust Returning to France, nobody believed Alexandre or his journals about the Amerzone. Sixty years have passed and the world has changed. World War 2 has come and gone, the Amerzone remains unexplored and closed off to outsiders by it's despotic leader, Anoino Alverez. Monsieur Alexandre Valembois is an old man at the end of his life, living alone in a lighthouse and wishing to fix his mistake. At this time, a young reporter comes to visit the old Alexandre Valembois regarding his adventures...
Amerzone is a first person adventure game, similar to Myst, taking place between different rooms and areas. The player assumes the role of the reporter and must unravel the clues left by Monsieur Valembois, travelling over several picturesque locations and eventually reaching the fictional Amerzone region. The adventure game takes place over a series of areas. The player can click on arrow icons to change the orientation or to move to different areas. Objects of interest change the cursor to a magnifying glass icon. Objects that can be interacted with or picked up change the cursor to a hand icon. An icon of gears represents a mechanism which must be manipulated before it can be properly used. The player's inventory can be accessed at any time.
- "L'Amerzone: Le testament de l'explorateur" -- French title
- "Amerzone: Testament Odkrywcy" -- Polish title
- "Amerzone: Il Testamento dell'Esploratore" -- Italian title
- "Amerzone: El Legado del Explorador" -- Spanish title
- "Amerzone: Das Testament des Forschungsreisenden" -- German re-release title
- "Amerzone: Das dunkle Vermächtnis" -- German title
Part of the Following Groups
|Decently fun to play||ThE oNe (178)||unrated|
|Another "Myst-clone" that just doesn't measure up.||Jeanne (75601)|
The Press Says
|JeuxVideoPC.com||Oct 13, 2004||15 out of 20||75|
|Gamezilla||Oct 18, 1999||75 out of 100||75|
|Game Chronicles||Nov 12, 2002||7.5 out of 10||75|
|Game Revolution||Oct 01, 1999||B||75|
|Power Play||Oct, 1999||65 out of 100||65|
|Absolute Games (AG.ru)||Jun 08, 1999||65 out of 100||65|
|GameStar (Germany)||Oct, 1999||62 out of 100||62|
|Aventura y Cía||Apr 21, 2004||60|
|Adventure Classic Gaming||Jul 02, 2009||60|
|Game Captain||Oct 22, 1999||58 out of 100||58|
There are currently no topics for this game.
ComicAmerzone is based on a graphic novel by Benoît Sokal L'Amerzone. Published in France in 1993 by Casterman, it is part of the Inspecteur Canardo series started back in 1978. Canardo is Sokal's best known character. In Canardo, most of the characters are animals (Canardo himself is "somewhere between Philip Marlowe and Donald Duck") but the universe is much like a dystopian Disney: very dark, filled with melancholy and disillusion.
The original comic book tells the adventure of the P.I. Canardo, hired by Valembois' family to find the old explorer, who was missing since he went to Amerzone on a last expedition. Valembois hopes to find the legendary White Birds before he dies...
The game differs a lot from the graphic novel, which is more dark and violent, but the background universe and the country of Amerzone itself are very similar.
TitleAmerzone is actually a pun on Amazone (french for the Amazon river) and "amer" which means "bitter".
Related Web Sites
- Amerzone (The Adventure Company's official Amerzone site)
- Amerzone (Microids' official Amerzone site)
- Amerzone - FAQs & Guides (Various guides posted on GameFaqs.com)
- AmerZone: Review and Walkthrough (A short review of The Explorer's Legacy at Balmoral Software, which is followed by a detailed chapter by chapter walkthrough of the game (Nov. 18th, 2002).)
- Amerzone-The Explorer's Legacy Walkthrough (by Jim Blanchard)
- Amerzone Walkthrough (Walkthrough for Amerzone)
- Hints for Amerzone (Give you question and answer type clues before the final solution is revealed.)
- Wikipedia: AmerZone: The Explorer's Legacy (Information about AmerZone: The Explorer's Legacy at Wikipedia)
- Zarf's Review (A PC review of The Explorer's Legacy by Andrew Plotkin (December, 1999).)