DescriptionAsheron's Call is a MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game). This means that you can interact with hundreds (even thousands) of other players while exploring the gameworld provided by the game developers.
Like most RPGs, you start off in Asheron's Call as a rank beginner. As you gain experience, you gain power.
The gameworld is robust and, with the exception of zombies, skeletons, and other types of undead, Asheron's Call features completely original creatures not found in the typical fantasy environment (i.e. there are no Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Goblins, etc).
Character development is skill-based, rather than level-based or class-based. This means that your character isn't restricted in his/her ability because of his/her class, and it means that you don't have to wait until you reach a new level to increase your abilities.
The biggest thing Asheron's Call has going for it, however, is the fact that once a month the game developers change the world slightly and add to the ongoing storyline. Quests are added which can affect the story, and players can complete those quests if they possess enough skill and luck. The first year of Asheron's Call saw the release and eventual defeat of Bael'Zharon, a major bad guy in the Asheron's Call universe. It was the players who released him, and the players who defeated him. This provides a glimmer of the ultimate promise of the MMORPG genre: the chance for players to have permanent, lasting effects on the gameworld.
There are no promo images for this game
Part of the Following Group
|ComputerGamers.com||Jun 06, 2000||90 out of 100||90|
|Gameplay (Benelux)||May 31, 2000||90 out of 100||90|
|Gry OnLine||Dec 22, 2000||8.5 out of 10||85|
|GameSpy||Nov 21, 1999||84 out of 100||84|
|PC Player (Germany)||Jan, 2000||83 out of 100||83|
|Game.EXE||Jan, 2000||4 out of 5||80|
|RPGFan||Apr 15, 2001||80 out of 100||80|
|Power Play||Jan, 2000||78 out of 100||78|
|NUKE Computer Gaming||2000||75 out of 100||75|
|incite PC Gaming||Feb, 2000||60|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Pong mini gameWhen typing in "@logopolis" (without quotes) in the chat window., the player will be able to play a miniature game of Pong in a window that opens up.
This feature was removed when the game was patched, presumably because of copyright reasons.
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant, one of the NPCs in the game that offers sometimes useful advice, will sometimes tell you, "You cannot always acquire what you desire. You cannot always acquire what you desire. But if you attempt it occasionally, you potentially could discover, that you acquire what you require. I'm thinking of setting it to music."
This is a reference to the old Rolling Stones tune "You Can't Always Get What You Want". The actual lyrics are "You can't always get what you want,
You can't always get what you want,
But if you try sometimes,
You just might find,
You get what you need."
- The most harmless creatures in the game are rabbits. With the exception of one extraordinary white rabbit at 45.6S, 87.0W, near the town of Ayan Baqur. This particular white rabbit is a tribute to the vicious rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail and some would say he's just as deadly... "Look at the bones!"
- Just before the release of the movie The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ringin December 2001, Ulgrim the Unpleasant would sometimes say, "Give me any rings you don't want. I've been collecting them ever since I found one near the water the other day." This is a reference to how The One Ring from The Lord of the Rings was lost and then found again in a river.
- 2001 – #27 Top Game of All Time
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 03/2000 - Best Online Game in 1999
Information also contributed by Maw
Related Web Sites
- Asheron's Call (official website)
- AC Vault (Access guides, auctions, message boards, and other game information on this site.)
- Asheron's Call Stratics (Large news and information site with all things AC.)
- Crossroads of Dereth (Check news, fan fiction & art, forums, and maps on this site.)
- Gamecenter.com's AC Resource Center (C|Net's take on the game, plus links to fan sites, help, and strategy guides.)
Executive Producer and Producer: