Axis & Allies (Windows)

Written by  :  Shiek of Geek (27)
Written on  :  Nov 16, 2001
Rating  :  3.25 Stars3.25 Stars3.25 Stars3.25 Stars3.25 Stars

read more reviews by Shiek of Geek

Fun... if you like beating dummies.

The Good

I like to play A&A, and this really speeds up the game. The graphics are clean, there are new rules you can tweak on or off, and you get little explosions when your pieces die.

The Bad

You absolutely must have a human opponent. Even if you play one country and set your teammates to as stupid as possible, and your opponents as smart as possible, the AI is still dumb as a box of rocks. They once shipped the same troops between Hawaii and the West coast 4 turns in a row, with no apparent reason. Also, sometimes bugs prevent your pieces from doing what you want them to do. I've frequently lost planes because I couldn't land them on a carrier. This could be critical if you're playing against a good opponent. (There may be a cheat to get them back, but I don't know about it)

The Bottom Line

If you have somebody to play against, it can really be a speed advantage over the board game. Still, the board game appeals to me for the table talk, and the little toys you get to play with. :) At the price it can usually be found at, if you like simple war games, snatch it up; just don't expect the computer to be a challenge!