Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (Windows)

4.2
Written by  :  EazyCheeze (25)
Written on  :  Jan 19, 2001
Rating  :  4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars

read more reviews by EazyCheeze

Summary

An awesome game, even for complete newbies to D&D like me

The Good

Even though I had heard somewhat of how to play D&D in the past, my parents and others warned me away from it as it was "a tool of Satan." Well, they can forget that, because BG2 is a gift from God, it seems.

Even without my extensive knowledge of D&D's character creation and battle system, I eased into both quickly, and I feel like I know them well.

Graphics: Great! I especially liked how they drew little Boo (chaotic good hamster ranger; my favorite non-humanoid character) in with Minsc (chaotic good human ranger; my favorite male humanoid character).

Sound: Again, awesome. The music does not limit itself to just one selection for battle, nor one for travel; they change when you enter different areas. And your character's voices have so much appeal ("Go for the eyes, Boo, GO FOR THE EYES! YAAAA!" *SQUEEEEK* from Minsc) and pretty much anything Aerie says (Lawful good, elven (Avariel) mage/cleric; my favorite female humanoid character).

Gameplay: Pretty much what I expected from D&D, which is to say DEEP, involving and addictive. There are dozens and dozens of things to do in the game, so many that at some points you may feel swamped! That is a Good Thing(tm) though, as you never EVER have a shortage of quests.

The Bad

I don't see anything wrong so far (for anyone who knows what the Boo I'm talking about, I'm in Spellhold after... the meeting with Irenicus).

The Bottom Line

An awesome game, simply awesome. If that is, you have the time to sit down and play it, which unfortunately with school and all, I don't have much :( I wish I could play it more.