Baldur's Gate (Windows)

Written by  :  Christopher Sutler (7)
Written on  :  Jan 05, 2005
Rating  :  4.83 Stars4.83 Stars4.83 Stars4.83 Stars4.83 Stars

read more reviews by Christopher Sutler

Summary

A groundbreaking RPG

The Good

Everything. First of all, the graphics: great, awesome, stunning, realistic, and the ability to import your own "custom" portraits if you don't like the ones the game has to offer, who could ask for more? Next, the sounds: interesting music, every character has their own voice which reflects their personality, and again you can use your own custom voices for the game (I even recorded my own voice speaking my character's lines). Thirdly, the AI: Your characters will become happy or upset depending on their alignment and your actions. I have actually had a couple of evil-aligned party members walk out on me because I kept doing good deeds and raising my reputation to the "heroic" level. Fourth: the game engine. Why can't all RPGs use this engine? It certainly is innovative, and user-friendly, and generally just the best RPG engine I've ever seen. Those who don't like the engine really show that they have not played the game very much. And lastly: replayability. Very much so. There are literally hundreds of side quests, and you will probably play the game several times before you find them all (I've had this game since it first came out, and I still haven't found all of them). Also, the Tales of the Sword Coast add-on adds four or five new areas to explore, with new treasures and magic items which cannot be found elsewhere in the game.

The Bad

The only problem I had with the game was the fact that you could not equip more than one form of magical protection on the same character (like a Ring of Protection +1 could not be equipped on my thief because she was already wearing Shadow Armor). There is nothing in the AD&D rules about this being forbidden. Whose idea was that?

The Bottom Line

If you are a hard-core RPG player, I would not tell you to get this game, because if you truly are, you already have it. Truly an epic game, and already a classic six short years later.